Thursday 12 September 2013

My first assessment centre

Phew! What a busy month it has been. With my new job and plenty of overtime at my second job it doesn't really feel like there has been a summer break at all. In the midst of all of this I also got the opportunity to have my first assessment centre experience, and I can tell you from the off (to avoid any false hopes!) I unfortunately wasn't successful. However, every cloud has a silver lining and, now that I am two weeks on from the disappointment, I am confident that I can use the experience for a successful experience next year.

Now, I wasn't sure whether it is the "done thing" to publicly name the firm you're interviewing for but having desperately searched the web for info on this particular organisation's assessment centre (info not provided in the assessment centre pack of course) I was bitterly disappointed. So on that note, the organisation I am writing about today was the Government Legal Service and I hope that my experience can provide an insight to any future hopefuls. 

As background, the application process for the GLS includes an application form and Situational Judgment Test, successful applicants are then invited to complete a Verbal Reasoning Test and, if successful in that, a Critical Reasoning Test. Finally, there is the assessment centre which includes a written task and an interview with a panel. 

The assessment centre is held in London across four days. We found out upon arrival that they were interviewing 112 candidates in groups of seven (four sessions per day) and that over 3000 people had applied; these were incredible statistics and indicative of just how fierce the competition to obtain a training contract is. 

The written task involved advising a minister on a proposed piece of fictional legislation, particularly in relation to four specific members of the public's concerns, within a one hour time frame. The task was typed and we were given a hard copy of the materials and permitted to make notes. Generally, I found the task okay. I finished just in time but felt comfortable and not flustered throughout that hour. 

We then had a 20 minute break in order to have a drink or snack before being called for our individual interviews. Interviews were held by a panel of three (two GLS lawyers and one independent person). They were very friendly and definitely put me at ease. That was until the questions began! 

The first 15 minutes consisted of questioning on the written task. I had expected to be questioned on the rationale behind my answers but the questions seemed to be more technical:

"You have suggested an exemption to this section 13(b), how would you implement it?"

"Who would be better to decide the annual fee in the legislation, the local council or wider government?"

I think I fared okay but my unpreparedness for these types of questions definitely showed and I actually had a moment of complete blankness, which completely threw me off. 

The remaining 55 minutes of the interview consisted of competency based questions requiring the applicant to give an example of a time when they have demonstrated particular competencies, in this case decision making, leading and communication, team working and working to deadlines. These questions were testing. I was obviously aware of the types of questions I would be asked and had thought long and hard about examples I could give, however, I wasn't sufficiently prepared for the depth I would be questioned into these examples and they ended up coming off a little shallow. I often had to stretch the example to fit the question they were asking and it all felt strained. Advice to any future applicants: talk through your examples, write them out, dissect them in every way and analyse them at a great depth before the interview so that you know them inside out and can in turn discuss them in better detail. 

In addition to the competency questions, we were asked to discuss a current legal issue which interests us (I spoke about David Miranda) and finally our motivation for working for the Government, particularly in public law. 

It was intense.

I left the building feeling entirely shell shocked. In my defence, it was my first experience! The questions were relentless and just when you thought you had cracked it they threw in a curve ball. The panel took it in turns to ask the questions giving you little time between questions to compose yourself and I often asked for a moment to think or take a sip of water. With that said, the conversations with other applicants seemed to suggest that private training contract interviews for top firms were even more intense so perhaps I got off lightly!

The GLS recruit on a top down basis. Everybody gets a mark for their written task and interview and then they take the top 30-35 so it really is a case of "may the best man win". I was completely gutted not to have obtained a place but I am determined to give it another (better) shot next year. 



With all that done, I am now preparing to return to the University of Law for my final year on the LPC in less than 2 weeks. Back to business!

No comments:

Post a Comment